ERNESTO VILCHIS, AICP
Ernesto Vilchis has over 10 years experience in fiscal and economic impact analysis, financial feasibility assessment, and economic development strategy. Ernesto has expertise analyzing the financial feasibility and identifying financing strategies for a wide variety of land use projects including large land developments, single family residential, multi-family residential, affordable housing, retail, and mixed use projects. Ernesto was previously a Senior Associate at the economics practice at Keyser Marston Associates, an Associate at ERA/AECOM, and before that worked as a project manager for an affordable housing developer in the San Francisco Bay.
Ernesto holds a dual Master's in Public Affairs and Urban and Regional Planning from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public & International Affairs at Princeton University, and a BA in Economics from the University of California Berkeley. He is a certified planner by the American Institute of Certified Planners. A native of Mexico, Ernesto is proficient in Spanish and is also fluent in Portuguese. Some of his selected projects are highlighted below.
ECONOMIC IMPACT AND BENEFIT/COST ANALYSIS
- Niagara Frontier Transit Authority Asset Consolidation Alternative Analysis (Buffalo, NY) - Assessed the potential financial benefits and costs generated by three alternative, long-term investment scenarios under consideration by the NFTA to improve the efficiency of the regional transit system.
- New Haven Coliseum Redevelopment Economic Impact Analysis (New Haven, CT) - Estimated the direct, indirect, and induced economic impacts (jobs, output, labor income) of the proposed $400 million redevelopment of the downtown New Haven Coliseum.
- Benefit Cost Analyses for TIGER Grant Applications (Various U.S. Locations) - Measured the cost and benefits of various transportation projects, including expansion of the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge border point-of-entry in the Buffalo, New York Region and road improvements along Century Boulevard in Inglewood, CA. These analyses supported applications for U.S. Department of Transportation TIGER Grants.
- City Point Economic Impact Analysis (Brooklyn, NY) – Evaluated the potential economic impacts (jobs, output, labor income, and local tax revenues) generated by the three phases of City Point, the largest (1.8 million sq. ft.) and most visible mixed-use center in Downtown Brooklyn
INFRASTRUCTURE FINANCING STRATEGIES AND FISCAL IMPACT ANALYSES
- Crossroads Village Redevelopment Infrastructure Financing Strategy and Fiscal Impact Analysis (Omaha, NE) - Developed public infrastructure financing strategy for the redevelopment of one of the largest regional malls in Omaha, Nebraska to be transformed into a mixed-use project.
- Rincon Hill Infrastructure Financing Plan and Fiscal Impact Analysis (San Francisco, CA) - Developed financial model to assess the feasibility and fiscal impact of a proposed Infrastructure Finance District in the Rincon Hill Neighborhood.
- Alameda Point Fiscal impact Analysis (Alameda, CA) - Estimated the net fiscal change to various funds of the City of Alameda upon full build out of the proposed redevelopment of the former Alameda Point Naval Station according to the 1996 Community Reuse Plan.
- South Hayward Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) Station Market Study and Fiscal Impact Analysis (Hayward, CA) - Evaluated market opportunities and the potential fiscal impact of the updated form based zoning rules for properties in the area surrounding the South Hayward Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) Station and nearby Mission Blvd.
- California Highspeed Rail Alignment Alternatives Analysis (Merced to Fresno, CA) - Conducted research and analysis of real estate acquisition and relocation costs for three highspeed rail alignment alternatives from Merced to Fresno. Determined the value of loss of urban and rural productivity to evaluate the regional economic impact of each alternative.
- Transbay Transit Center Retail (San Francisco, CA) - Assessed financial feasibility of retail component for the planned Transbay Transit Center.
- Alameda Point Economic Development Strategy (Alameda, CA) - Developed an economic development strategy for the redevelopment of the former Alameda Point Naval Station. The Strategy included a commercial market analysis, current tenant assessment and forum, financial analysis of adaptive reuse of buildings, and testing of proposed strategy through interviews with industry experts and stake holders.
- Economic Development Dashboard (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Created an economic dashboard to track the performance of the City of Fort Lauderdale in five key areas: economic performance, workforce, innovation, livability, and business environment. The dashboard measures the performance of the city relative to 10 other U.S. Cities.