TANYA CHIRANAKHON, AICP, LEED AP
Tanya Chiranakhon has a broad base of experience built over 10 years of practice spanning architecture, urban planning and design, and land development economics. Tanya provides clients with research and analysis for economic and real estate development projects across the US and Asia. Her expertise includes market assessments, development programming, feasibility analysis, and economic and fiscal impact analysis. Tanya was previously a Senior Associate at the economics practice at AECOM and an Associate at Economics Research Associates (ERA) from 2008 through 2011. She also has an in-depth understanding of physical planning and worked as an Urban Planner/Designer in San Francisco and Hong Kong with HOK, and as a designer with various architecture firms.
She holds a Master's in Urban Planning from Harvard University, with a concentration in real estate and urban development, and a BA in Architecture from the University of California Berkeley. Tanya is a certified planner and LEED accredited professional. Having lived and worked in Hong Kong and Bangkok, she is proficient in Mandarin and familiar with Thai and Cantonese. Some of her selected projects are highlighted below.
- Englewood LRT Station Area Plans (Englewood, Colorado) - Conducted market and demographic analysis to inform transit-oriented station area plans for a three-station light rail corridor in the Denver Metropolitan Region. Evaluated the demand for residential, hotel, office, retail and restaurant uses.
- Westminster Comprehensive Plan Update Market Analysis(Westminster, Colorado) - Prepared real estate market assessments for the city as a whole and for six focus areas including three commuter rail stations.
- California Highspeed Rail Alignment Alternatives Analysis (Merced to Fresno, CA) - Conducted research and analysis of real estate acquisition and relocation costs for three highspeed rail alignment alternatives from Merced to Fresno. Determined the value of loss of urban and rural productivity to evaluate the regional economic impact of each alternative.
- Southern Poplar Corridor Rail Crossing Economic Impact Analysis (Shelby County, Tennessee) - Examined travel savings, real estate acquisition, relocation and construction costs to determine the economic impact of new rail crossings on the long-term future of the regional economy and at the local level.
- Angkor Airport City Market, Financial and Economic Impact Analysis (Siem Reap, Cambodia) - Conducted market analysis, programming and phasing recommendations of a resort and new town development for a 9,600 acre site. Primary land uses included resort hotels and villas, golf courses, primary residential communities, industrial park, and educational and medical institutions.
- Sihanoukville New Town Market, Financial and Economic Impact Analysis (Sihanoukville, Cambodia) - Examined the market potential and conducted a financial and economic impact analysis of a new town development for a 5,400 acre site. Assessed competitive new and proposed developments in the surrounding region and provided programming and development recommendations.
- Zhongnan Cartoon City Attendance and Feasibility Analysis (Shenyang, China) - Evaluated resident and visitors markets, conducted attendance projections and developed physical planning parameters for a theme park attraction and entertainment retail in Shenyang.
- Tianjin Historic District Development Strategy Analysis (Tianjin, China) - Conducted demand growth projections and development strategy analysis for Tianjin's historic CBD.
- Cha Am Resort Town Master Plan Market Analysis and Programming (Cha Am, Thailand) - Conducted market and competitive analysis to develop a strategy for highest and best mix of land uses for a 5,200 acre site. Prepared land use and planning recommendations that included product types, target market segments, absorption and phasing of real estate products and overall program.
- Koh Kong Coastal Tourism Master Plan Market Analysis and Programming (Koh Kong, Cambodia) - Conducted detailed market, trend and competitive analysis to determine preliminary planning recommendations that included the most appropriate types, scale and location of land uses. Total study area of approximately 350 sqkm.
- Downtown Portland Retail Strategy Analysis (Portland, OR) - Conducted analysis of current and future retail market capacity in Central Portland and its subdistricts. This study included economic and demographic analysis, research on national downtown trends and best practices in downtown retail development.
- Manteca Retail and Restaurant Opportunities Study (Manteca, CA) - Conducted local and regional market and demographic analysis, including a city-wide public survey, to identify future retail and restaurant opportunities in the rapidly growing city of Manteca.
- North Park San Diego Feasibility Analysis (San Diego, CA) - Conducted market analysis, created development concept alternative illustrations and assisted with financial feasibility of a 1.6 acre San Diego redevelopment project.
- Barrio Logan Economics Analysis (San Diego, CA) - Analyzed real estate market pressures driving change in this near downtown neighborhood of San Diego.
- New Market Tax Credits Community Impact Assessments - Conducted case studies to analyze the public benefits of innovative real estate projects in low and moderate-income communities. To date, Ms. Chiranakhon has evaluated five such developments in St. Louis, MO; Calexico, CA; Salt Lake City, UT; Detroit, MI; and Everett, WA.
- West Sacramento Site Accommodation Study (West Sacramento, CA) - Conducted site accommodation and massing studies to create alternative site plan options to be used for financial modeling of a two acre, mixed-use site in West Sacrament